Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hot Dogs and Half Mexican


T
his day was super comical, I had to blog to not forget how hard I laughed. A group of first graders that I was guest teaching for today were working in a small group and all of a sudden there was this horrible smell. I asked what it was and someone pointed to this one boy and with a big smile on his face said it was the hot dogs that made him burp. But then the boy right next to him, said ughh no, he does it with pizza too! Hot Dog Burp Boy just smiles and laughs and thus affectionately earned his nickname.

Cut to snack time of oranges and I'm helping a bunch of the students peel their oranges and I start speaking in broken Spanglish to a boy who spoke little English and I get asked do you Speak? I answer with my overused, muy poquito and she replies, "oh, so you're half Mexican." If a camera would have snapped a picture at this moment, it would have no doubt found me with my mouth open and quickly defending my 100% Mexican self...geesh! She was sweet, but wow she threw a zinger that I would have expected from a teenager! A diss of mass proportions from a completely innocent student...will remember this and cracked up my family with this story.

No comments: